Wednesday 1 August 2007

What the hell is today's world coming to?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=472069&in_page_id=1770&ct=5

When I opened this article I expected to read it was in Iraq or Afghanistan. I cannot believe this happened in Britain today.

I am not sure if you saw Panorama last night, which was about the Happy Slapping phenomenon (or worse in some cases) where kids are filming fights on their mobile and then uploading to YouTube. While the violence was horrific and I am not skating over it , but for me, the most shocking part for me was the comment of the YouTube representative, who when asked why they did not block these kinds of videos, they stated they did not feel it was their responsibility to police their own site's content, but for the Police to contact them about individual cases & they would then be happy to assist.

WTF?

Now coming from a Financial Services background where corporate and social responsibility is paramount and we are heavily governed and fined I may add, I found this absolutely flabbergasting and very irresponsible to the point of arrogance.

Imagine for a moment if a Bank took that attitude with your account? Yes Mr Customer, we know people are hacking our accounts/ defrauding our customers / using your id/ laundering money but until the police contact us about specific cases we won't take an security measures to prevent law breaking? Now I know I am exaggerating a bit, and it isn't on the same level, but with this attitude, in my opinion it is as if they are condoning it?

Wrong. It is so wrong.

No comments: