Tuesday 11 September 2007

The importance of being sober.


We had a Marketing conference yesterday & then a dinner/ dance thing at night which was good fun. The hotel that it was in was fabulous, based around an Oscar Wilde Opulance, with food & wine to match. Which some people took to the letter..


I learned very quickly in my working life, that copious amounts of alcohol and work night outs should never be mixed. By taking this approach, sensible and boring as it maybe, I safely know that I will never mistaking (again) tell the CEO that he doesn't have a flipping clue about the company; have to face my boss the next day after she has held my hair back while I puked; or cop off with some unsavourvary character who I then spend the next 3 months trying not to hurt their feelings but do not want a repeat performance with.


Not all of my work mates take this approach, infact I can quite frankly tell you it is terrifying what some people get like with a few glasses on wine. A previous boss of mine was running (yes running) about like a wee boy grabbing people and generally being very annoying. That coupled with his spinning & jumping wonder woman impressions on the dance floor left me in no doubt that my previous character summary of him being an utter f*cktard was not unfounded.


At that point while watching open mouthed at him twirl & skip across the floor boards, and I made a promise to myself that my instincts were right & I should follow them more in future.


So come today, I am sitting a bit tired & flat at my desk, eating junk food in a desperate hope to quell that horrible empty belly feeling, while all the time wanting to be in my bed.


Speaking of beds.. My copy of MPW's autobiography arrived yesterday, so tonight I will be curled up under the duvet with him.

No comments: