Wednesday 21 May 2008

Changing yourself..

A bit of a musing for your wednesday afternoon..would you change yourself or your tastes to make someone like you better?

I have came across a couple of examples in the last couple of weeks with friends, that have quite frankly shocked me. Exhibit A has literally adjusted her personality and given up almost all of her own personal morales and boundaries to ultimately massage the ego of one insecure and vey selfish male. I am by the sidelines watching her self worth being broken down, unable to help and my advice is falling on deaf ears.

Exhibit B, is transforming their tastes to fit with a new friends tastes. Now everyone grows and adjusts picing up little bits of ideas and outlooks like cat hairs on a new coat, from the people we meet on a regular basis.. but this person is going to an extreme, listening to music that is not easily likeable.. let me try colour this example.. It is not unknown that I have an obsession with Marilyn Manson, not just his music, but his persona, his outlook and for personal reasons I can relate to the story of how be transformed from Brian Warner (worm boy in his words) to the persona he has created today ( the antichrist in some people's minds). But it isn't the type of music that I would recommend to my friends in passing ' oh have you heard MM's new song?' as it isn't really mainstream and nor does it make the charts or MTV playlist most of the time. For someone to suddenly buy into a scene overnight that is so against their own tastes is slightly odd in my opinion.

These are both friends that I thought were strong individuals, and I am saddened for them both.

On a lighter note, this piece of news had me laughing and wondering if it was a joke on the part of the BBC .. otherwise it is reassuring to know that the heat & cheap lager means the loonies are consistant in their antics year after year..

2 comments:

Miss Forthright said...

My ex P does this- he alters his opinion on stuff depending on who he's talking to. People should be more sure of themselves in that sense- just be yourself.

Catslife said...

*nods*

idon't think there is anything wrong with expanding your tastes or experiences, but to not have a opinion of your own or to try & change so much of yourself to be liked is quite sad in my opinion.