Thursday 13 September 2007

A moral dilemma

If you had a good friend, who you loved dearly, but was doing something you wouldn't agree with - would you tell them? Even if it might end the friendship?

I have a dear friend, who is currently involved with a guy in a relationship and she is slowly setting herself up to be the other woman. It started off innocently, a few drinks after work, then dinner & she didn't know he had a partner, bit by bit he dropped in the facts, until it materialised that he is getting married. My friend at first had the stance of not while you have another girlfriend, but slowly the boundaries have moved & now it is much more than just friends. Meanwhile his wife-to-be is oblivious and happily planning their big day. And while he bleats that he doesn't want to go ahead with it, he has no intention of calling it off.

Now, I am not naive, having been engaged myself before & calling it all off, I realise that people make decisions for the wrong reason or fall out of love. I am trying to keep out of it, and keep my thoughts of sympathy for his wife to be, to myself. I can't help putting myself in her position as I would be devastated if that to happened to me.

And I am not sure if my friend (who will be my bridesmaid) sees the irony in that...

2 comments:

Miss Forthright said...

If it was me, personally, I'd tell her what you think. Say exactly what you've just said here, that she isn't considering the bride etc. Somebody needs to give her a kick up the bum and realise what she's getting in to.

Catslife said...

I have tried gently pointing it out, the are you stupid approach.. but still it is ticking on & gathering momentum.

She doesn't care about the bride. She just wants him. :-(